top of page

These are some of our Frequently Asked Questions


It can be confusing trying to figure out how to get started.  Below are some of the Frequently Asked Questions that our students have.  Don't worry if your question isn't answered below, a quick phone call (our number is at the top of the page) is all it takes to answer any question or concern you may have.  You can even send us a message if you prefer.


How do I get started?


A valid UK driving licence is required before taking any motorcycle test. This can either be a full car licence or a provisional licence.


Age limits:

  • Age 16 - Moped (category P) riders are limited to a 50cc scooter and no faster than 50KPH (31mph), you will need a CBT certificate first.

  • Age 17 - Motorcycle (category A1) riders can upgrade to a 125cc machine with a maximum power of 11kw. (14.6 BHP) manual or automatic. You will need a CBT certificate first.

  • Age 19 -You can take the A2 practical test for a full licence limited to 25 kwh/33 BHP, or A1 which is taken on a machine of less than 120cc (this will restrict you to a 125 but no L-Plates). You will need a CBT certificate and Motorcycle Theory Test first.

  • Age 21 with an A2 licence held for 2 years - You are able to take the full A licence (taken on a bike that produces at least 35 kwh or 47 BHP). 

  • Age 24+ -You can take the A practical test for a full licence (taken on a bike that produces at least 35 kwh or 47 BHP). You will need a CBT certificate and Motorcycle Theory Test first.



I have a provisional licence, what can I ride?


With a provisional licence, you are not allowed to ride on the road until you have completed Compulsory Basic Training. Once you have completed the course you can ride a 50cc moped, or if you are 17 years old or over, with category A on your provisional licence, you can ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc. You will also have to display L plates at all times, and you are not allowed to carry passengers or travel on motorways. Your CBT certificate will only be valid for 2 years, so you will need to renew it, or go on to obtain your full licence before it expires.



Do I need to do a motorcycle theory test before I can take a CBT course?


No your CBT just qualifes you as a learner for a two year period and as such you do NOT need to take a theory test, you must however pass one before full motorcycle test can be taken.




What do i have to bring?


All students must bring the following:

  • Driver’s license (both card and paper counterpart)

  • Enthusiasm

  • Willingness to learn

  • Sturdy footwear

  • Long trousers (minimum denim trousers- no jogging bottoms or shorts)

  • A jacket


    You must have read and understood the Highway Code before attending your CBT

How much does it cost?


Our Prices are available on the Prices page.  Our price includes use of our motorcycles, safety equipment and insurance.



Where are the courses located?


Our CBT training area is located at Meadowdale Middle School, in Bedlington in South East Northumberland.  When doing on-road training we use Bedlington and the surrounding area of Northumberland and Tyne & Wear. We cover routes including Amble, Ashington, Bedlington, Blyth, Cramlington, Hexham, Morpeth, Seaton Sluice, Seghill, Whitley Bay to name just a few.

For module 1 training we use the DVSA site at Dunston, Gateshead. For module 2 training we cover roads in and around Bedlington, Newcastle, and Gateshead. Both Module 1 and 2 tests take place at the DVSA test centre in Dunston.

We also offer to cover tests at other DVSA sites such as Carlisle, Darlington, and Edinburgh.




What if it's raining, will the course still be on?


Yes. If a course needs to be postponed due to extreme climatic conditions (eg floods, high winds etc) students will be notified as early as possible.


Is there a cancellation fee/policy?


Unfortunately, due to limited spaces available each day for CBT a non-refundable deposit is required at the time of booking.

Less than 24hrs notice to cancel a lesson will incur a cancellation fee.

If the training is cancelled due to adverse weather or by Premier Bike the deposit will be refunded or the training rescheduled.




Do you speak to me whilst on the road?


Yes we use high quality radio equipment which fits inside your helmet, through this we give you instructions to take.



Can I use my own bike/scooter?


Yes, you must provide us with a valid MOT and insurance certificate and the bike or scooter must be taxed to be allowed on the public highway.


bottom of page